Saturday, November 17, 2012

Lights, Camera, Action!

In one of my graduate courses, we had to create a short movie.  My first thoughts were, "How am I going to do this?"  Luckily, the assignment wasn't as difficulty as I thought it would be; matter of fact, it was easy and fun.  The making of the film got me thinking about incorporating the assignment into my future classroom.  Most assignments such as homework usually involve a lower level of thinking.  Making a video on the other hand involves critical thinking, using the components of application, analysis, evaluation, and creation.  Students who use this process of thinking throughout the length of the project will gain the most out of the lesson.

I would say there are three keys to being successful.  The first is taking advantage of ready to use content that is available.  Exploring websites such as PBS.org or NationalGeographic.com can be helpful.  The second is giving students the opportunity to be involved, whether it is through online discussions, debates, or collaborative group work.  The third is using a flipped model to create a student centered classroom, assisting with getting them actively engaged in the learning process.  It is important to connect students online, outside of class, so that they have the support network of their peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment